Are you Ludwig van Beethoven’s ancestor? Or maybe you just starting you musical – Prepare to move your heavy keyboard musical instruments. You may be looking for a new piano or just moving from one place to another, but one thing you should take care of is to find proper movers to help in moving piano safely. It could be a professional local piano movers or your relatives, check if they can lift if first;)
Piano Moving Companies
We have completed more than 10,000 musical instruments moves, and around 95 % were keyboard instruments such as upright and grand pianos, organs, spinets, Harpsichords and other types. During the past years we have been creating and modifying specific piano moving service techniques, and now we have a whole Hercules Piano Moving technology, which outlines the standards for local and international piano transportation of each particular instrument type.
Each piano is very fragile, as for a correct sound, every string has to be tuned to perfection. Moreover, a piano might be a couple of centuries old, and any move may become critical for such an instrument. In addition, the construction of customized pianos may require out of the ordinary solution, which includes disassembling and reassembling of the whole instrument. Lastly, our piano movers specially trained for moving the piano across the stairs, narrow hallways and any other obstacle on its way.
Piano Moving Process
During all piano moves, we utilize special piano piano moving blankets, piano skids, stretch wrap and rubber bands. Additionally, all our moving trucks are equipped with extra strapping and packaging materials. Piano Moving Technique has a couple of different approaches which depend on the type of piano:
Moving Grand Pianos & Baby Grand Pianos
These types are huge and will not go through the standart doorways in its assembled condition. We are going to send you at least two professional piano movers. Our 10 steps guide is as follows:
- Check Keyboard for any malfunctions.
- Secure the lid with a foam poaches and stretch wrap. (We also remove the lid in certain situations, for example in case you are looking for piano storage)
- Protect note holder with a foam poaches, also secure Lid Prop with a stretch wrap.
- Remove the pedal box and wrap it with a blanket.
- Protect the piano surface with a stretch film and place moving blankets on top. After, secure them with a second layer of stretch wrap.
- Place 2 blankets under the piano’s left corner.
- Remove only the left leg. (ask someone to hold left corner until you remove the leg, they also would need to tilt it on the blankets.)
- Prepare the piano skid on the left by placing aligning its end to the end of the keyboard.
- Push Piano on its left side.
- Congratulations – your piano standing on its side and is almost ready for transportation! Just remove last two legs and apply a stretch wrap to the uncovered part. Lastly when you fasten your piano to the skid with belts, make sure to place another blanket in the areas, where belts touch the prepared piano. (This will provide more protection in case you over tighten the straps.)
Moving Upright Pianos
Generally, these pianos are small enough to go through the typical doorway in its initial state. To protect your valuable upright piano during the move, you can hire specialized upright piano movers, who will:
- Check Keyboard for any malfunctions.
- Remove the front legs. (That depends on the type of piano, most of the upright pianos don’t have legs.)
- Place two blankets from both sides and make sure it covers the corners and whole sides, secure them with rubber bands. (Don’t worry about top, front and back parts yet.)
- Prepare the piano skid.
- Lift piano and place it on top of a skid.
- Tilt the piano from the back so that you will have a little gap between the bottom front part and the floor.
- Place the top of the 3rd blanket under the bottom front part, so it will hold the sheet when you tilt it back.
- Take the bottom blanket and fold it over the top. (Like an envelope)
- Secure the blankets by applying a stretch wrap.
- That’s It! Your piano is ready for moving, just strap it down with belts.
At the destination, we also unpack and assemble back your piano in the desired room. During loading and unloading, we are using neoprene floor runners and moving blankets to protect your floor, stairs, doors and walls. All our piano skids are sheathed in a soft fabric; therefore, they are not going to scratch the piano’s surface. For all our long distance and cross-border moves, we recommend using specialized piano crates, as they provide even more protection.